Thursday 30 April 2009

York's Most Famous Street

Welcome to the Shambles, what I suspect is York's most photographed street. Towards the end of the day, the Shambles empties of tourists and I begin to enjoy the quaint narrow passage ways, or snickleways, that come off the street,  and the way the buildings lean in towards each other, almost touching at the top. 

The Shambles was once called "The Great Flesh Shambles" and was full of butchers shops. Now, the butchers shops are gone, replaced with jewelery shops, fudge and chocolate shops and tourist traps. Butchers in York are a dying breed. Scotts of York, a wonderful city centre butcher recently closed after 130 years in business. It's a sad thing when wonderful, local historical shops come to the end of their lives

7 comments:

  1. You can never have too many images of such a fabulous little street especially with the watery reflection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jackie and good to see another daily photo in Yorkshire.
    Leeds Photo Daily

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just discovered you, and what a great blog it is! Really nice collection of photos. Always good to have another UK CDPB, welcome to the family :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to live in York...so nice to see pictures of the place again! I'll be a frequent visitor. Welcome to CDP!
    Come say 'hi' in Calgary Canada where I live now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Toda una lata que negocios con ya una tradición cierren.

    Esas calles son super angostas pero dan ganas de caminar mucho por ahí.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks like a fascinating street!

    Welcome to the CDPB community! I hope you get your technical problems fixed soon so you can continue posting photos of York. I love what you have so far! Happy photoblogging!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was a huge shame when Scotts Butchers closed, I remember when I was young going there with my parents, we didnt go that much in the last few years. Its sad to see the place now, its an empty shell with still the baording saying scotts up, but now there is graffiti on the window. So many good shops have closed in York in the last ten years, welcome to the new millenium I guess :S

    ReplyDelete